Half Marathon Course Description
The Half Marathon course includes some of the most scenic areas within the Cleveland Metroparks Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation. The course interfaces with the historic Canal and the Cuyahoga River- it’s a run through nature and a romp through history.
The race starts on the driveway for the Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation off East 49 Street in Cuyahoga Heights. Participants will run down the driveway of the Canal Reservation then turn right onto the Towpath Trail entrance located near the Leonard Kreiger Canalway Center.
Runners will cross the pedestrian bridge over the canal then turn right (north) onto the Towpath Trail to the turnaround just south of the Harvard Ave. trailhead. From there runners head back south on the trail, bearing right at the bottom of the hill. Turn right onto the Lower Loop Trail. At main trail turn right/south, cross the two suspension bridges, continue south to turnaround just short of Old Rockside Rd.
Runners return north on the Towpath Trail , over the 2 bridges. Run past main trail entrance (water stop). Turn left onto the Lower Loop trail and finish where the Lower Loop trail meets the Towpath Trail located below Leonard Kreiger Canalway Center.
Half Marathon course runners should follow mile markers and directional signs (yellow signs with red letters.)
5-Mile Run Course Description
The 5-Mile race starts on the entry driveway to the Cleveland Metroparks Canal Reservation – located off East 49th Street in Cuyahoga Heights. This is the same start for the half-marathon. The course includes an out-and-back design that utilizes the natural loop found below the Leonard Kreiger Canalway Center.
5-Milers will run down the driveway of the Cleveland Metroparks Canal Reservation before turning right to the Towpath Trail entrance located at Kreiger Canalway Center. Runners will cross the pedestrian bridge over the canal and turn right (north) onto the Towpath Trail. A turn-around is located just south of the Harvard Ave. trailhead. From here, runners will run south, bearing right at the bottom of the hill, bearing right onto the Lower Loop trail and finishing where the Lower Loop trail meets the Towpath Trail located below Leonard Kreiger Canalway Center.
Runners should follow mile markers and directional signs (White signs, Black letters).
Important Things to Note
- Please read descriptions and check out maps on this website.
- Visit this website frequently and check the FAQ section and News for questions, concerns and updates.
- Please be aware of your starting line and parking sites. Parking is very close to the start line and is a short walk from the finish line.
- Half Marathon and 5-Mile runners will be parked within the Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation. The driveway will remain open during the race. There will also be overflow parking in the Angstrom Group lot along East 49th St. Please look for Towpath Parking signs (yellow signs with red lettering)
- Volunteers in neon green vests will be directing traffic.
- Runners should be on site and ready to run 10 minutes before their assigned race start time.
- Due to COVID safety protocols, we are unable to accommodate drop bags.
- We do accommodate Half Marathon walkers by allowing them to use an early start time of 7:00 am. 5 Mile walkers will start at 8:00 am.
- The race is run on a 12-foot wide trail. Bear right whenever possible.
- Runners run in both directions on portions of the trail.
- Half Marathon course and aid stations will be open for 3 hours: 8:00 am-11:00 am. (or 3 hours after last start time).
- To ensure a desired shirt size you must sign up by March 24th. We make no guarantees for those who sign up after. We cannot exchange sizes once they’re ordered.
- We will be unable to provide bus shuttle service to the start lines or parking lots.
- There will be no awards ceremony. Awards can be picked up on April 13 or be mailed. (Learn more).
The half-marathon will have wave starts beginning at at 8:00 am from the driveway to the Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation off of E. 49th St. Runners must be at the start line at 7:30 am. After registration you will be provided with a specific start time.
The 5-miler will will have wave starts beginning at at 8:00 am from the driveway to the Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation off of E. 49th St. Runners must be at the start line at 7:30 am. After registration you will be provided with a specific start time.
- Half Marathon/ 5-Miler Runners – Runners will park in lots inside Cleveland Metroparks Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation. Lots will be marked with signs indicating “Parking”. Volunteers will guide you.
- What are the best driving directions to the start of the Half Marathon/5-Miler on Sunday morning?
- Google Maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/vqesueaL65V2etPj8
Using freeways – take I-77 to Grant Ave. exit – head west on Grant Ave. Grant dead-ends into E. 49th St. Turn left/south, then turn right into Cleveland Metroparks Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation. Parking is located in three lots at bottom of hill. Look for signs that say Towpath Race Parking. Portalets and water/Gatorade will be there.