Towpath Ten-Ten Course Descriptions
10-Mile Course Description
The Start Line for the Towpath Ten Mile Race will be located on Cloverleaf Drive in Valley View, Ohio north of the intersection of Cloverleaf and West Canal roads. Runners will make a quick left turn to follow West Canal Rd., which itself makes a right turn heading south towards Old Rockside Road. Runners will run on West Canal Road through Mile # 1, the Finish Line area and (first water station) as they head to Old Rockside. A Portalet will be available in this section. You will turn right at Old Rockside, to cross the bridge that spans the Cuyahoga River. Make a quick left down the driveway for the Scenic Railroad. Follow directional signs as you run up ramp to the bridge that crosses the River. Once you have crossed, you will run to Towpath Trail heading north (Make a left) – running on boardwalk under Rockside, past Thornburg Station – crossing Old Rockside Road. (2 mile mark) Running north on the Towpath Trail, you will re-encounter the water station #2 and a portalet. As you continue north, the Towpath Trail splits to accommodate a row of trees. Runners can choose either side as they head north towards the two signature White Bridges that mark the course. The bridges rise to 30 feet above the roadway and include a 7% grade. A water station with a Portalet is located under I-480 bridge (mile 3). Running north, a Water Station and a portalet awaits near Bacci Park (mile 4). Continuing north, runners enter the Hidden Valley where images of nature and industry co-exist. The Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District’s treatment plant dominates the valley floor, cleaning waste into pure water. Mile # 5 is located just beyond the elliptical pipe that juts across the canal. Runners now enter a very picturesque portion of the valley as they run towards the overhead train trestle. Stay on the Towpath Trail and pass through the structure that provides protection from any falling items – this is a one-way section – you will return by going around this structure. A water station with Portalet is located north of the bridge which spans the canal. As you continue running south along the Canal, you will find a permanent restroom in this stretch. Runners are now on a one-way trail course for the next mile as they will bear left to circle back along the Cuyahoga River to meet back with the original Towpath Trail. Mile 6 is located at a turn-around – runners bear left on trail.
As runners continue along the Cuyahoga River, runners will turn right to head south on the Towpath. As you now run south on the Towpath, prepare to bear right and circle around the structure below the train trestle. Follow the directional signs. Runners are now returning to the Finish Line. You will hit Mile 7 and Mile 8 prior to hitting the Bacci Park Water Station (mile 8.6). Mile 9 is located north of the I-480 Bridge. A Portalet and water station are located again below I-480 Bridge. As runners continue south towards the Finish Line, runners must transition from the Towpath onto West Canal Road – follow directional signs. The Finish Line is in the parking lot of Cuyahoga County Public Works at 6100 W. Canal Rd.
10k Course Description
The Start Line for the Towpath 10K will be located on Canal Road north of Warner Road near Bacci Park. The exact location lines up with the northern edge of the pedestrian pavement markings at Bacci Park. Runners will run north on Canal Road., past the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District Treatment Plant. They will climb a small hill and turn left into a dedicated driveway that leads to the Towpath Trail. Follow Arrows and signs. As you turn here, prepare to make a left turn and run over the small bridge and then right turn, heading north along the Towpath Trail. (Mile 1) Continuing north, you are entering the Hidden Valley where imagery of nature and industry co-exist. Runners now enter a very picturesque portion of the valley as they run towards the overhead train trestle.
As you approach the trestle, follow Towpath Trail through the structure that provides protection from any falling items – this is a one-way section – you will return by going around this structure. A water station and portalet is located here near the road/bridge that leads to the Visitor Center. (mile 1.8) As you continue running along the Canal, you will also find a permanent restroom in this stretch. Mile 2 is located north of this restroom. Runners are now on a one-way trail course for the next mile as they will bear left to circle back along the Cuyahoga River.As you end the loop, you will encounter the same Water Station and portalets here at Mile 2.8. Prepare to bear right and circle around the structure below the train trestle before returning to the Towpath Trail surface. Runners are now returning to the Finish Line. You will run past Mile 3 and Mile 4 prior to hitting the Bacci Park – Water Station and portalet (mile 4.3). Mile 5 is located near the entry of the 2nd White Bridge.- mile 4.8. As you descend from the 2nd White Bridge, you will continue along the Towpath Trail towards I-480 which has a Water Station and Portalet beneath the I-480 bridge.Running past the I-480 station, runners will transition from trail to West Canal Road and the Finish Line – follow directions.
Important Things to Note
- Please read descriptions and check out maps on this website. Runners should visit the website and refer to FAQ sectionand News/Blog for questions, concerns and updates.
- Please note your starting line and parking sites.
- For Towpath 10 Mile Race, park in the Cinemark Parking Lot located behind Quaker Steak on Canal Road in Valley View (get directions) – the starting line for the 10 Mile Race is located near the intersection of West Canal Road & Lombardo Dr. approximately 1 mile from parking lot to start line. Finish Line is the parking lot of Cuyahoga County Public Works at 6100 W. Canal Rd.
- For Towpath 10K Race, park in the Cinemark Parking Lot located behind Quaker Steak on Canal Road in Valley View (get directions) – the starting line for 10K is on Canal Rd by Bacci Park. Please walk on Canal Road heading North. At the first traffic light at Fosdick Road is a bridge over the canal to the Towpath Trail. Once on Towpath Trail follow the signs to the 10K Start. You can cross Granger and Warner at street level to avoid bridges. Finish Line is located in the parking lot Cuyahoga County Public Works at 6100 W. Canal Rd.
- There will be portalets at the starting lines of the races, but these do get busy so plan accordingly
- IMPORTANT: DO NOT PARK IN BACCI PARK LOT OR BIG BOYS – YOU WILL BE TOWED.
- There will be day of race registration/packet pickup from 5:30 – 6:30 am at your start line for both races.
- Be on site in the parking lot for the race by 6:15 AM. Races start promptly at 7:00am.
- We do not have a “WALKERS DIVISION” for these races but allow walkers for both races as long as you finish the race by 10:00 am.
- We do accommodate 10-Mile walkers by allowing them an early start time of 6:00 am. 10K walkers will begin race on Towpath Trail heading north at 6:30 am. Check in with race timers at start lines.
- Course opens to all users at 10:00 am – walkers must complete the course by 10:00 am.
- The race is run on a 12-foot wide trail. Bear right whenever possible.
- Runners run in both directions on portions of the trail.
- 10 Mile & 10K courses and aid stations will be open for 2 ½ hours: 7:00 am- 9:30 am.
- To ensure a desired shirt size you must sign up by May 15. We cannot exchange shirt sizes.
- We will provide shuttle service from the finish line to Quaker Steak for the post-race festivities. There are no shuttles to Start Lines.
- Drop bags will be brought to the finish line. Please provide your own bag and label with your bib #. We also suggest you leave items in your car as you will be parked close to the post party if you park at Cinemark.
- This is a rain or shine event. In the case of extreme weather the race director as the right to cancel the race. Canalway Partners (501c3) will not issue refund of race fees or postpone the race. This is standard policy for fundraising races. Please visit our Towpath Marathon Facebook page for most recent updates.
We will have EMT vehicles along the course to aid distressed runners. Aid station captains will be able to communicate with the race directors and the EMT staff. The Medical Staff will have the right to withdraw any runners from the race who appear in distress or at risk should they continue running.
The Towpath Ten-Ten will take place in the Cleveland Metroparks Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation in the Villages of Valley View and Cuyahoga Heights. The area is best accessed from the juncture of two freeway systems – I-77 and I-480.
If approaching from the north (Rt 90), take I-77 and exit at Brecksville Road (Rt 21) – as you drive south look for Granger Road (Rt 17 East) ramp – follow the ramp and head east. Granger Road (Rt 17) takes you to intersection of Canal Road. For 10 Miler and 10k runners, turn right (south on Canal Road and follow it to Heinton Road, (Quaker Steak) where you will turn left to park at Cinemark.
If approaching from the east or west on I-480, take I-77 south and exit on Rockside Road exit. Drive east to Canal Road (in valley past Lockkeeper’s), turn left (north) on Canal Road. For 10 Mile runners, turn into Cinemark Complex located on right (Heinton Road). For 10 K runners, continue to drive north on Canal Road to Granger Road, turn left and enter parking lot area located to right (Canal Place). Do not park in Bob’s Big Boy or you will be towed.
If approaching from the south on I-77, exit on Rockside Road exit. Drive east to Canal Road (in valley past Lockkeeper’s), turn left (north) on Canal Road. For 10 Mile runners, turn into Cinemark Complex located on right (Heinton Road). For 10K runners, continue to drive north on Canal Road to Granger Road, turn left and enter parking lot area located to right (Canal Place).
Recommended Spectator Locations
Finish Line – located on West Canal Road. Park at Cinemark and cross street. Be mindful of runners on Towpath between 7 am – 8:00 am Please do not stand on Towpath Trail for beginning of the race.
Between the White Bridges that cross over Warner Road. Near Bacci Park Below Kreiger Canalway Center – Take I-77 to Grant Ave.. Head west on Grant Ave. Turn left on E. 49th. Go approx. 1/2 mile and turn right into the Metroparks Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation. From the parking lot, walk down the hill to the trail.
Runners should take advantage of the parking area at Cinemark, Canal Rd. and Heinton Rd. behind the Quaker Steak (get directions.)
Towpath Ten Mile Race
Park in the Cinemark lot located off of Canal Road and Heinton Road, behind Quaker Steak.
The Start Line is located approximately 7/10 of a mile north walk along Canal Road heading North – cross Canal Road as Fosdick Rd – head north on Towpath Trail – follow signs = 10 Mile Start. You will walk along mowed path that follows the I-480 Bridge to Start.
There will be portalets at the Start Line, portalets are located at Finish Line and Start Lines.
Towpath 10K Race
Park in the Cinemark lot located off of Canal Road and Heinton Road, behind Quaker Steak.
The Start Line is located approximately 1 mile north – follow Towpath Trail north to start line – located on Canal Road by Bacci Park. Follow signs – 10K Start Line. The Start Line is located on Canal Road north of Warner Road, near Bacci Park. (NOTE – THERE IS NO PARKING AT BACCI PARK AND BOB’S BIG BOY.)
There will be portalets located in the Bacci Park parking lot. A Water Station is located off the Towpath Trail near Bacci Park. The Finish Line for the Towpath 10K is located at the Soil & Water Conservation District on West Canal Road, across from Quaker Steak.
After the race, there will be a shuttle available to take runners from the Ten-Ten Finish Line to the post party and awards ceremony at Quaker Steak. There will be bus stop signs on West Canal Road. The shuttle will be available after the race only. Please take the shuttle after the race to avoid walking in the street.