Course Descriptions & Vital Info
Featuring 10 Mile & 10K race lengths
The second race in the Towpath Trilogy
Date: Sunday, June 18, 2017- 7:00 am
Location: Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation
Valley View, OH 44125
10-Miler Starting Location: West Canal Road at Lombardo Drive
10K Starting Location: Canal Road at Bacci Park
Towpath Ten-Ten Course Descriptions
10-Mile Course Description
The Start Line for the Towpath Ten Mile will be located on Cloverleaf Drive in Valley View, Ohio north of the intersection of Cloverleaf and West Canal roads. Runners will make a quick left turn to follow West Canal Rd., which itself makes a right turn heading south towards Old Rockside Road. Runners will run on West Canal Road through the Finish Line area and Mile # 1 (first water station) as they head to Old Rockside. Portalets will be available in this section. You will turn right at Old Rockside, to cross the bridge that spans the Cuyahoga River. Make a quick left down the driveway for the Scenic Railroad. Follow directional signs as you run up ramp to the bridge that crosses the River. Once you have crossed, you will run to Towpath Trail heading north (Make a left) – running on boardwalk under Rockside, past Thornburg Station – crossing Old Rockside Road. (2 mile mark) Running north on the Towpath Trail, you will re-encounter the water station #2 and the portalets (mile 2.7) and hit Mile # 3. As you continue north, the Towpath Trail splits to accommodate a row of trees. Runners can choose either side as they head north towards the two signature White Bridges that mark the course. The bridges rise to 30 feet above the roadway and include a gentle 7% grade. A water station is located under I-480 bridge. Portalets will be located just off the Towpath Trail beneath the I-480 bridge – (mile 3.9). Mile # 4 is located on the second White Bridge. A Water Station and a portalet awaits near Bacci Park (mile 4.2). Continuing north, runners enter the Hidden Valley where images of nature and industry co-exist. The Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District’s treatment plant dominates the valley floor, cleaning waste into pure water. Mile # 5 is located just beyond the elliptical pipe that juts across the canal. Runners now enter a very picturesque portion of the valley as they run towards the overhead train trestle. Stay on the Towpath Trail and pass through the structure that provides protection from any falling items – this is a one-way section – you will return by going around this structure. Mile 6 is located just beyond the bridge that leads to the Canalway Visitor Center. A water station is also located here as are portalets.
As you continue running along the Canal, you will find a permanent restroom in this stretch. Runners are now on a one-way trail course for the next mile as they will bear left to circle back along the Cuyahoga River to meet back with the original Towpath Trail where you find the same Water Station and portalets here at Mile 7.As you now run south on the Towpath, prepare to bear right and circle around the structure below thetrain trestle.Runners are now returning to the Finish Line. You will hit Mile 8 prior to hitting the Bacci Park Water Station (mile 8.6). Mile 9 is located on the first White Bridge heading south. Portalets at mile 9.1.As the runners descend from the 2nd White Bridge, you will continue on the Towpath to the pointwhere a street intersects it – here, you bear right, leave the Towpath Trail (mile 8.5) and continue on West Canal Road for the stretch run to the Finish Line at the Soil & Water Conservation District on West Canal Road.
10k Course Description
The Start Line for the Towpath 10K will be located on Canal Road north of Warner Road near Bacci Park. The exact location lines up with the northern edge of the pedestrian pavement markings at Bacci Park. Runners will run north on Canal Road., past the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District Treatment Plant.You will climb a small hill and turn left into a dedicated driveway that leads to the Towpath Trail. As you turn here, prepare to make a left turn and run over the small bridge and then right turn, heading northalong the Towpath Trail. You are at Mile 1. Continuing north, you are entering the Hidden Valley where imagery of nature and industry co-exist. Runners now enter a very picturesque portion of the valley as they run towards the overhead train trestle.
As you approach the trestle, follow Towpath Trail through the structure that provides protection from any falling items – this is a one-way section – you will return by going around this structure. A water station and portalet is located here near the road/bridge that leads to the Visitor Center. (mile 1.8)As you continue running along the Canal, you will also find a permanent restroom in this stretch. Mile 2is located north of this restroom. Runners are now on a one-way trail course for the next mile as they will bear left to circle back along the Cuyahoga River.As you end the loop, you will encounter the same Water Station and portalets here at Mile 2.8.Prepare to bear right and circle around the structure below the train trestle before returning to the Towpath Trail surface. Runners are now returning to the Finish Line. You will run past Mile 3 and Mile 4 prior to hitting the Bacci Park Water Station and portalet (mile 4.3). Mile 5 is located at the entry of the 2nd White Bridge.- mile 4.8As you descend from the 2nd White Bridge, you will continue along the Towpath Trail towards I-480which has a Water Station and Portalet beneath the I-480 bridge.Running past the I-480 station, runners bear right and run on West Canal Road (mile 5.5) heading south towards the Finish Line.Both races share the same Finish Line.
Important Things to Note
- Runners must know their race course. Please read descriptions and check out maps on this website.
- Runners should visit this website frequently and refer to FAQ section and News/Blog for updates.
- Runners must know their starting lines and parking sites.
- For Towpath 10 Miler, park in the Cinemark Parking Lot located behind Quaker Steak on Canal Road in Valley View (get directions) – start line for the 10 Miler is located at the intersection of West Canal Road & Lombardo Drive. It is approximately 1 mile from parking lot to start line – use the walk/jog towarm up for race. Finish Line is located on West Canal Road near bridge to Quaker Steak.
- For Towpath 10 K runners, park in the Cinemark Parking Lot located behind Quaker Steak on Canal Road in Valley View (get directions) – near the start line. Cross Canal Road to the Towpath Trail – head north – follow signs to 10K Start. You can cross Granger and Warner at street level – avoiding the bridges. It is approximately a 1 mile walk/jog. Finish Line is located on West Canal Road nearbridge to Quaker Steak – approximately 2/10 of a mile from the Finish.
- THERE WILL BE 10 PORTALETS LOCATED AT START LINE. YOU CANNOT PARK IN BACCI PARK LOT OR BIG BOYS – YOU WILL BE TOWED.
- There will be day of race registration from 5:30 – 6:30 am at Quaker Steak for both races.
- Runners should be on site in the parking lot for the race by 6:15 AM. Races start promptly at 7:00am. We discourage late starters since we close streets.
- We do not have a “WALKERS DIVISION” for these races but allow walkers for both races as long as you finish the race by 10:00 am.
- We do accommodate 10-Miler walkers by allowing them an early start time of 6:00 am. 10K walkers will begin race on Towpath Trail heading north at 6:30 am. Check in with race timers at start lines.
- Course opens to all users at 10:00 am – walkers must complete the course by 10:00 am.
- We recommend walkers bring bottled water with them to start race.
- The race is run on a 12-foot wide trail. Bear right whenever possible.
- Be aware of passing fast runners. Runners run in both directions on portions of the trail.
- 10 Mile & 10K courses and aid stations will be open for 2 ½ hours: 7:00 am- 9:30 am.
- 10 Mile Starting location: start line for the 10 Miler is located at the intersection of West Canal Road & Lombardo Drive.
- 10K Starting Location: Start for race will be on Canal Road next to Bacci Park – north of Warner Road intersection. Canal Road will be closed from 6:45 am – 7:10 am.
- To ensure a desired shirt size you must sign up by May 17. We make no guarantees for those who sign up after. You get the shirt you ordered. We cannot exchange once they’re ordered.
- We will provide shuttle service from the finish line to Quaker Steak.
- We allow Drop Bags – however, ask that you do not bring large knapsacks – thanks.
We will have EMT vehicles along the course to aid distressed runners. Aid station captains will be able to communicate with the race directors and the EMT staff. The Medical Staff will have the right to withdraw any runners from the race who appear in distress or at risk should they continue running.
Schedule of Events
Sunday, June 18th-
5:30 am – 6:30 am – Race Day Registration Only
6:00 am- Ten mile Walkers Start
6:30 am- 10K Walkers Start
7:00 am – Ten mile Runners Start
8:30 am – Awards Ceremony begins
10:00 am – Course closes
Recommended Spectator Locations
Finish Line – located on West Canal Road. Park at Cinemark and cross street. Be mindful of runners on Towpath between 7 am – 8:00 am Please do not stand on Towpath Trail for beginning of the race.
Between the White Bridges that cross over Warner Road. Near Bacci Park Below Kreiger Canalway Center – Take I-77 to Grant Ave.. Head west on Grant Ave. Turn left on E. 49th. Go approx. 1/2 mile and turn right into the Metroparks Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation. From the parking lot, walk down the hill to the trail.
The Towpath Ten-Ten will take place in the Cleveland Metroparks Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation in the Villages of Valley View and Cuyahoga Heights. The area is best accessed from the juncture of two freeway systems – I-77 and I-480.
If approaching from the north (Rt 90), take I-77 and exit at Brecksville Road (Rt 21) – as you drive south look for Granger Road (Rt 17 East) ramp – follow the ramp and head east. Granger Road (Rt 17) takes you to intersection of Canal Road. For 10 K runners, park in lots located between Warner Road and Granger and Canal Road. For 10 Miler, turn right (south on Canal Road and follow it to Heinton Road, (Quaker Steak) where you will turn left to park at Cinemark.
If approaching from the east or west on I-480, take I-77 south and exit on Rockside Road exit. Drive east to Canal Road (in valley past Lockkeeper’s), turn left (north) on Canal Road. For 10 Mile runners, turn into Cinemark Complex located on right (Heinton Road). For 10 K runners, continue to drive north on Canal Road to Granger Road, turn left and enter parking lot area located to right (Canal Place). Do not park in Bob’s Big Boy or you will be towed.
If approaching from the south on I-77, exit on Rockside Road exit. Drive east to Canal Road (in valley past Lockkeeper’s), turn left (north) on Canal Road. For 10 Mile runners, turn into Cinemark Complex located on right (Heinton Road). For 10K runners, continue to drive north on Canal Road to Granger Road, turn left and enter parking lot area located to right (Canal Place).
Runners should take advantage of the parking area at Cinemark, Canal Rd. and Heinton Rd. behind the Quaker Steak (get directions.)
Towpath Ten Mile Race
Park in the Cinemark lot located off of Canal Road and Heinton Road, behind Quaker Steak.
The Start Line is located approximately 7/10 of a mile north – cross Canal Road at Heinton – head north on Towpath Trail – follow signs = 10 Mile Start. You will walk along mowed path that follows the I-480 Bridge to Start.
There will be 10 portalets at the Start Line, portalets are located at Finish Line and Start Lines.
Towpath 10K Race
Park in the Cinemark lot located off of Canal Road and Heinton Road, behind Quaker Steak.
The Start Line is located approximately 1 mile north – follow Towpath Trail north to start line – located on Canal Road by Bacci Park. Follow signs – 10K Start Line. You can cross Warner and Granger without using bridges if you want. The Start Line is located on Canal Road north of Warner Road, near Bacci Park. (NOTE – THERE IS NO PARKING AT BACCI PARK AND BOB’S BIG BOY.
There will be 6 portalets located in the Bacci Park parking lot. A Water Station is located off the Towpath Trail near Bacci Park. The Finish Line for the Towpath 10K is located at the Soil & Water Conservation District on West Canal Road, across from Quaker Steak.
Awards Ceremony & After-Party
The Towpath Ten-Ten features an award ceremony and after party at Quaker Steak & Lube featuring live music, food, and Great Lakes Beer. The party begins at 8:30 AM.